Friday, December 8, 2006

The Return of Les Mis

I saw the last Les Mis.


Really. It was the absolute last show, as the touring company hit St. Louis, and I traveled 6 hours with my girlfriend to go and see it. It was the end of a 20 year run, and it was my first time, and her third or so, and she cried and I cried and it was all beautiful.

And then I heard that it was being revived on Broadway; that there would be new staging, new orchestrations, a "fresh look". I confess to being a little sceptical, just in terms of the fact that they’d just marketed the "Last chance to see…" and now suddenly "Fresh new revival…"

Thanks to a tip, I got to take a look at this little feature from their opening night. I have to say, I agree with the folks over at Oh No They Didn’t, that Daphne Zunin Vega as Fantine looks, well, forced, over acting, twitchy, even. Which I find upsetting, since that’s my favorite role. I also look at the "new staging" and it looks an awful lot like the "old staging" (though, with the exception of Vega, the cast looks VERY interesting. An Asian Cosette! Yay!).

My review is totally unfair based on seconds of seeing Vega perform (though backed up by some who’ve seen the performance). So I guess someone will just have to fly me out to NYC and show me the error of my ways.

Anyone?

0 Comments: