Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Gary Larson’s Far Side

The Far Side Gallery 2007 Off The Wall Page-a-Day Calendar

I was introduced to The Far Side by a friend when I was in junior high. I remember getting The Far Side Observer for Christmas from her while at school. I sat through the first hour of school just reading page after page. In my head, I can still see the cartoon that had me laughing so hard that I couldn’t stop. That’s happened so many times since that first introduction.

For years after that first Christmas, I regularly asked for the Off-the-Wall Calendar, at least until 2002, the last year that they produced it. However, Gary Larson has been presented with a reason to bring the well-loved calendar back into production.

From USAToday:

All his earnings from the 3 million calendars printed, about $2 million according to publisher Andrews McMeel, will go to Conservation International for the organization’s work to help end the illegal trade in Asian elephants, Indochinese tigers, Asiatic black bears, pangolins, freshwater turtles, and Siamese crocodiles in Cambodia. The profits will also fund an awareness campaign in China aimed at reducing acquisition of of threatened species for exotic dishes, traditional medicine and for pets. There are also projects in Indonesia and other southeast Asian countries as well.

The calendar will continue to be a “best of” type of compilation, no new cartoons. I could just pull up all my old calendars and make one myself (yes, I think I still have all the past years’ individual sheets somewhere in the attic), but then I wouldn’t be able to help Gary Larson assist an organization that he wants to support. Guess the calendar can return to its spot on my Christmas wish list. Everyone writing that down? ;)

0 Comments: