Tuesday, December 5, 2006

House Diagnoses are Real?

The Medical Science of House, M. D.
In a recent poll on this blog, I asked what you, the readers, want to see more of on this blog. One of the choices was to learn more about the medical diagnoses and technology used in the show. Well, there’s a brand new book out that answers just that! It’s called “The Medical Science of House, M. D.” and it explains all the research that goes into the show and tells about actual cases like the ones on the show.

In an article in The Times, the author, Andrew Holtz, tells how he got the assignment to research the show and find out about its accuracy. Here’s what he says:

“My basic conclusion is the medicine in the show is possible, even if highly improbable,” said Andrew Holtz, a West Haven-based author who penned “The Medical Science of House, M.D.” “I was somewhat surprised. The show has some bizarre cases, so I went into it thinking (it was fantasy), but then I would do research and find that, oh, it has happened.”

“For fans, I think it answers that question about how realistic is the show. For everyone else, I think it’s a way of getting to some important issues,” he said. “People need to know how our health care system works. It is approaching 20 percent of our economy . . . and we all use it all the time, and yet people are not really educated about how the system works. I hope this book offers some basic information about what is possible, what is not possible.”

I know I plan to get a copy. It looks like it would be a great gift idea for the House fan on your list too!

0 Comments: